Thursday, June 25, 2015

Throwing Out My Sports Illustrated But I'll Keep My Phone



Andy Benoit is a sports writer for Sports Illustrated. He is an unusual type of Sports Writer, Mr Benoit finds many sports are not worth watching. Many sports referring to ALL WOMEN'S SPORTS.

Mark Mravic tweeted "And here some people (ahem, @Andy_Benoit) argue that women's soccer isn't worth watching."

Andy Benoit the "Sports Writer" responded
"Not Women's soccer.....Women's sports in general not worth watching."

Sports Illustrated (SI) makes more money on its annual Swim Suit issue giving the illusion SI has mastered the Illustrated claim of their title. I say illusion because lets face it the world enjoys looking at beautiful women. SI exploit and profit from these women. I don't see them demonstrating any real skills in selling the issue. The women are doing the selling.

Mr Benoit's tweeted stating women's sports in general are not worth watching indicates they don't quite have the Sports claim down yet. I cannot recall the last time I purchased an issue of SI. I did subscribe the last time the NY Football Giants won the Superbowl. I did not subscribe for their sports journalism or their swim suit issue. I subscribed for the Free Giants Blanket, souvenir Giants Football, Giants book and Giants video about the Giants Superbowl season. The actual magazines ended up in the recycling bin in short order.
 
Thanks to my oldest son I have the classic Sports Illustrated Football phone. He picked it up for a quarter at a garage sale. Heck of a lot cheaper than wasting the money on a subscription.

I am saddened by the realization that an American sports institution like Sports Illustrated is best known for its freebies and swim suit issue. Perhaps if they get rid of Andy Benoit and put together an issue dedicated to Women's sports I will pick up one of their issues and  read it. Till then I will just keep my phone and other 'freebies' and get my sports news and opinions elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment